Walking tour in sharing
Since 1996, UNESCO has recognized the Castel del Monte as a World Heritage Site. Built by Frederick II of Swabia, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, in the 13th century, it is located at 542 meters above sea level in the heart of the Alta Murgia Park .
Its octagonal shape is what has made it so famous and appreciated by visitors from all over the world to admire a unique and spectacular architecture.
For a suggestive visit of Castel del Monte, choose and book the sunset tour at 18.00
WHAT WILL WE DO DURING THE WALK?
We will meet at the Cat parking near the Restaurant L’Imperatore.
With a shuttle we will reach Castel del Monte, the only octagonal monument made of local limestone. This castle has been the subject of studies over the years about its real use and still today fascinates visitors, scholars, curious and never ceases to surprise us. The Castel del Monte symbolically represents the power of its Emperor and certainly played a territorial control role, but, unlike other defensive structures, it is rich in precious decorations in coral breccia and marble that embellish the rooms, windows and doors. The itinerary inside the castle will take us through the octagonal curtains, the 8 rooms on each floor, the spiral staircases and the eight octagonal towers.
TOUR IN BRIEF: THE MAIN STAGES
• Visit the octagonal castle
• Admire the landscape of the Alta Murgia
• Listen the story of Frederick II
MORE IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON THE TOUR
• Length: 1h and 30 min
• Starting times: 10:00 am- 3:00 pm
• Meeting point: CAT parking next Ristorante L'Imperatore
• Available languages: Italian, English and Spanish
• Available from Monday to Saturday
• What is not included in the price: Entrance ticket € 10 adults, free under 18, (you can buy it online on our website) € 1 shuttle per person, car park € 5.
• tour in sharing guaranteed on min 2 paying adults. The group size is up to 20 people