If you are in Matera don't miss the chance to visit the nearby Altamura, famous for the production of Dop bread, typical in its particular form. This city also has a marvelous historic center which contains numerous treasures of medieval architecture and art.
WHAT WILL WE DO DURING THE WALK?
We will start from the Porta Baresana, one of the ancient medieval gateways of the city and continue along Via dei Mercanti to visit in particular the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, the only church built by the Emperor Federico II, whose portal is one of the most beautiful in Puglia.
We will walk through the streets of the historic center to appreciate ancient buildings e churches.
In Altamura there are several historical bakeries where you can taste the soft Altamura DOP bread (optional).
TOUR IN BRIEF: THE MAIN STAGES
• Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta
• Porta Baresana
• Historic center
MORE IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON THE TOUR
• Length: 1 h 30 m
• Meeting point: next to the Porta Baresana, Via Vittorio Veneto
• Start time: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm (until to the 30/9)
• Available language: English, Spanish
• Includes: licensed tour guide
• Available everyday, except holidays
• Free for under 18
• Free cancellation until 48 h before the tour