Walking tour in sharing
Visiting Matera and its ancient quarters called “Sassi”, is almost an "obligation" for those who want to take a tour between Puglia and Basilicata. Matera, in fact, is a UNESCO heritage site and was elected European Capital of Culture 2019, a precious recognition of its history and its beauty carved in stone.
WHAT WILL WE DO DURING THE WALK?
We will meet in Piazza Vittorio Veneto, where it’s possible to enjoy the panoramic view on the Sasso Barisano and we will begin the guided tour in the city among the most suggestive in Southern Italy to live a unique experience. We will head towards Via Duomo, the access road to the “Civita”, considered the oldest part of the town. Our next stop will be Piazza del Sedile, an ancient political and administrative center of the city.
You will be fascinated to discover the existence of cave houses where some inhabitants lived until the first half of the 20th century and rupestrian churches dug into the rock, which also preserve wonderful frescoes. You'll visit an ancient rupestrian church. Finally we will reach the Cathedral of Santa Maria della Bruna, built in the Apulian Romanesque style embellished internally by baroque decorations.
For a suggestive visit of Matera, choose and book on the following link the sunset tour at 18.00
Free cancellation until 48 h before the tour
TOUR IN BRIEF: THE MAIN STAGES
• Piazza Vittorio Veneto (panoramic point)
• Piazza del Sedile
• Via Duomo
MORE IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON THE TOUR
• Length: 2h and 30 ′
• Start time: 11:00 am all the year
• Meeting point: Piazza Vittorio Veneto, next to the Bank "Banco di Napoli"
• Available languages: English, Spanish
• Included in the price: tour guide, rupestrian church entrance
• Free for under 7
• Available from Monday to Saturday, except holidays
• tour in sharing guaranteed on min 2 paying adults. the group size is up to 15 people